Authorization for Temporary Stay (MKV)
Foreigners who have the intention to stay in Suriname for more than 90 days can apply for a temporary stay permit the so called MKV (machtiging tot kort verblijf) at the Suriname Embassy in France.
The MKV is a precursor to the residence permit. The approval or rejection of the MKV is a matter of the Ministries of Justice and Police and Labour in Suriname.
Before applying for a MKV, the following issues should be considered:
- During the process to obtain the MKV one can not apply for a regular visa or tourist card.
- Visitors who travelled to Suriname on a tourist or business visa will not be able to apply for MKV during their stay in Suriname.
- Visitors who are of Surinamese origin*(see below) and who travelled to Suriname on a tourist or business visa can apply for MKV during their stay in Suriname.
- Visitors who do not need a visa can apply for MKV during their stay in Suriname.
- Applicants belonging to the group for who visa is obligatory also have to apply for a visa.
Applications with the required documents for the MKV have to be submitted at the Embassy at least three months prior to the intended date of travel.
The passport should be valid at least 6 months upon arrival in Suriname. The applicant is not eligible for a tourist card, tourist or business visa during the period in which his/her application is pending.
Documents such as birth certificate, marital status and death certificate should be obtained at the municipal centre in the residing state/region. Affidavits will not be accepted.
Administration charges for MKV are Euro 15, - (by demand draft only)
Reunification for parents with minor children (up till 17 years of age) is also possible within the MKV arrangements.
In case of Employment these additional documents are required:
- A copy of the contract, employer's reference letter, work permit, passport copy/ID card and residence permit
- Translated and notarized copies of diplomas and certificates that should indicate a specific qualification. Translation should be in Dutch or English.
- A declaration or certificate of previous employer (s) to substantiate experience in specific areas. In particular, when it comes to applications / functions where no special training is required but skills and knowledge obtained from experience.
*Foreigner of Surinamese origin
- Persons born in Suriname and now have another nationality
- Persons born outside Suriname from parents of who one or both is (are) born in Suriname and now have another nationality.
- The spouse and minors belonging to the family of the foreigner born in Suriname.